> Can we have our wedding ceremony downstairs?

Please contact Sandra Jackson for approval at Ballina Shire Council on 1300 864 444.

> Do I have to set the room up myself?

Yes. We supply the tables and chairs, the hirer is responsible for the set up and pack down of the room. It is important to include adequate time in your booking, before and after your event, to allow for set-up and pack down.  

> How many tables and chairs do you have available?

Tables and chairs are included with your room hire. We can supply up 12 x 6ft/1.83m round tables, 25 x 6ft/1.83m Trestle tables, 150 x banquet chairs and 50 x plastic chairs.

> Is there any other equipment available?

Yes. You may also request the use of a whiteboard and lectern. 

> Are there tea/coffee facilities?

There is a kitchenette with a fridge, sink and urn located next to the Jullum Room (Function Room 1) and Dirrawong Room (Function Room 3). You will need to provide all of your own cups, teaspoons, tea, coffee, milk etc.

There is a kiosk and Café onsite which can also offer food and beverage options. Alternatively, external caterers can be hired. 

> Do you have a projector/screen/PA?

The function rooms are equipped with a state of the art audio visual system to enable a wide range of entertainment opportunities for your event. This system includes up to three large flat screen televisions with HDMI, AV and USB input, surround sound PA integration and wireless microphones. Instructions are located next to the control panels and a copy is available from the office if you require one.

> Can I hang decorations in the function rooms ?

Yes. Please refrain from using any sticky tape or permanent fixtures. Blu-tac is permitted. If you are planning on hanging decorations using a ladder, you must identify this in your risk assessment. Rooms must be left in the same condition as hired or fees will apply.

> Is there car parking available at the centre?

Car parking is conveniently located directly opposite the Ballina Surf Club. Additional parking is also available at Lighthouse Beach lookout and along Lighthouse Parade.

> Are there any restrictions on alcohol consumption?

Responsible drinking of alcohol is permitted within each venue. Hirers selling or supplying alcohol to a ticketed event will be required to obtain a liquor licence from the licensing authority for the duration of the event.

> What type of power access is there?

The function rooms have a number of 240 volt power outlets located around the rooms. Please note 3-phase power outlets are not available. The centre provides power boards; and it is the hirer’s responsibility to ensure their electrical requirements are both safe and suitable to the power options available.

> Can you help to promote my event?

Yes. We can help promote regular classes and public events through the 'What’s On' section on the Community Spaces website, and Discover Ballina website. We also produce a monthly enews and can arrange publication in Council's Community Connect magazine. 

> Do you offer catering for events?

No. Capiche Restaurant is located onsite and can provide catering for your event. There are also numerous local cafes and caterers in the area that would be happy to cater for your event. See our listing of local catering suppliers. 

> Can our caterers operate a kitchen van outside?

Please contact us to discuss your requirements on 02 6681 0528.

> Am I required to have security at my function?

Whenever alcohol is sold or supplied at a ticketed event, the hirer will be required to obtain a liquor licence from the licensing authority for the duration of the event. Responsible drinking of alcohol is permitted within each hired space and is limited to the internal hired space. Note that all events must be concluded and the centre closed by midnight on the evening of your event.

> Can I use a smoke machine?

Sorry no, as the function rooms are fitted with smoke alarms.

> Can you provide (sell) alcohol at your event?

If you intend to sell alcohol at your event, you will need to apply to Home - Liquor & Gaming NSW for a licence. The website outlines all the information required to lodge your application, including qualifying for the licence and licence conditions.  The online process is easy to follow, but please remember to allow at least six – eight weeks to process your application.

Limited Licence – single function

This licence allows a not-for-profit, sports club or community group to sell alcohol for consumption during a single event. More information.

Some non-for-profit groups may be exempt from requiring a single function liquor licence and may be able to hold up to six events per calendar year without a licence. More information.

Limited Licence – special event

A special event limited licence can be granted if the Independent Liquor & Gaming Authority is satisfied that an event is infrequent or temporary, is genuine and in the public interest, having regard to the objects of the Liquor Act 2007More information.

This liquor licence can be for profit organisations/individuals.

The Liquor and Gaming NSW website will provide all the information you need to apply, including:

A Site Plan to show:

  • Red boundary for the licensed area,
  • Outline of the entire premises,
  • Location of the bar,
  • Exit and entry to the licensed premises,
  • Direction of north,
  • Adjoining street names labelled on the plan.

The online application process will ask for the following, among others:

  • What security and RSA practices are in place
  • The volume of beer, spirits, wine for the event
  • The capacity
  • Details of date and time
  • Conditions

Please note that requirements may be different depending on the nature of the event.

Applying tips:

Your application can take longer to review if you do not provide all details required for assessment.  You can speed up the process by:

  • Providing all the correct information at the time you apply
  • Respond to requests for missing information as soon as possible.
Go To Top